Olympus E-PL6 shutter count
Knowing the shutter count is useful when buying or selling a camera, as it provides an indication on how intensively the camera has been used. Unlike some other brands, Olympus cameras do not store the information on the number of shutter releases in the EXIF data of the images taken, and no reference exists in the camera manuals on how to retrieve the shutter count. Nevertheless, the number of shutter actuations - along with related camera usage data - is stored within the camera's memory and can be accessed through hidden service menus. The latter are intended for Olympus service personnel to help with the identification and resolution of camera errors.
Exploring hidden menus
Getting the shutter count, that is the number of times the mechanical shutter of the camera has opened and closed, on the Olympus E-PL6 is a multi-step procedure. The individual steps are described in detail below. No problems have been reported to date from accessing the hidden service menus, but kindly note that if you decide to perform the steps below, you do so at your own risk.
With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following steps in sequence.
- Turn the camera ON while holding down the MENU button;
- Once the LCD screen lights up, release the MENU button and then press it again briefly;
- Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the SPANNER item in the menu and press RIGHT;
- Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the BRIGHTNESS item in the menu and press RIGHT;
- Press INFO;
- Press OK, and a screen showing the camera designation will come up;
- Press arrow pad UP;
- Press arrow pad DOWN;
- Press arrow pad LEFT;
- Press arrow pad RIGHT;
- Press the SHUTTER RELEASE button;
- Press arrow pad UP (a PAGE 1 with some abbreviations and numbers appears);
- Press arrow pad RIGHT to move to PAGE 2;
- Write down the number to the right of "R" of "MS" on PAGE 2. This is the number of shutter releases (the number to the right of "S" is the number of times the flash has fired);
- Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter count information!
Thinking of switching cameras?
In case you are considering an upgrade of your current camera, you might find the camera comparison app useful. Just enter two camera names into the search boxes below and you will promptly see a comparison of the two devices. Alternatively, you can jump directly to an existing comparison by clicking on any of the listed links.
- Canon 400D vs Olympus E-PL6
- Canon 70D vs Olympus E-PL6
- Canon 77D vs Olympus E-PL6
- Canon 90D vs Olympus E-PL6
- Canon G1 X vs Olympus E-PL6
- Canon SX520 vs Olympus E-PL6
- Leica S-E Typ 006 vs Olympus E-PL6
- Nikon D600 vs Olympus E-PL6
- Nikon Z7 vs Olympus E-PL6
- Olympus E-PL1 vs Olympus E-PL6
- Olympus E-PL6 vs Panasonic GF6
- Olympus E-PL6 vs Sony A7