Olympus E-450 shutter count
Knowing the shutter count is useful when buying or selling a camera, as it provides an indication on how intensively the camera has been used. Unlike some other brands, Olympus cameras do not store the information on the number of shutter releases in the EXIF data of the images taken, and no reference exists in the camera manuals on how to retrieve the shutter count. Nevertheless, the number of shutter actuations - along with related camera usage data - is stored within the camera's memory and can be accessed through hidden service menus. The latter are intended for Olympus service personnel to help with the identification and resolution of camera errors.
Exploring hidden menus
Getting the shutter count, that is the number of times the mechanical shutter of the camera has opened and closed, on the Olympus E-450 is a multi-step procedure. The individual steps are described in detail below. No problems have been reported to date from accessing the hidden service menus, but kindly note that if you decide to perform the steps below, you do so at your own risk.
With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following steps in sequence.
- Turn the camera ON;
- Open the memory card door (a "card door open" message will appear on the screen);
- Press MENU and OK at the same time, which will display a screen that shows the camera designation and firmware version;
- Press arrow pad UP;
- Press arrow pad DOWN;
- Press arrow pad LEFT;
- Press arrow pad RIGHT;
- Press the SHUTTER RELEASE button;
- Press arrow pad UP (a PAGE 1 with some letters and numbers appears);
- Press arrow pad RIGHT to move to PAGE 2;
- Write down the number to the right of "R" on PAGE 2. This is the number of shutter releases (the number to the right of "S" is the number of times the flash has fired);
- Close the memory card door to revert to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter count information!
Thinking of switching cameras?
In case you are considering an upgrade of your current camera, you might find the camera comparison app useful. Just enter two camera names into the search boxes below and you will promptly see a comparison of the two devices. Alternatively, you can jump directly to an existing comparison by clicking on any of the listed links.
- Canon 1D X Mark II vs Olympus E-450
- Canon 250D vs Olympus E-450
- Canon T100 vs Nikon Z6
- Leica X2 vs Olympus E-450
- Nikon D6 vs Nikon Z6
- Nikon Z6 vs Panasonic S5
- Nikon Z6 vs Sony A3000
- Nikon Z6 vs Sony H400
- Nikon Z6 vs Sony NEX-F3
- Olympus E-450 vs Panasonic FZ1000 II
- Olympus E-450 vs Ricoh GR
- Olympus E-450 vs Sony NEX-3
You are here: Home » Olympus E-450 Review » Olympus E-450 Shutter Count