Shutter count information for Olympus mFT
When buying or selling a camera on the second-hand market, it is often useful to know the number of shutter releases a camera has performed. This information can serve as a proxy for how intensively it has been used.
Shutter unit (E-P1) [fareastgizmos.com] While Olympus does not provide any indication on how to retrieve the shutter count in it's camera manuals, the number of images a camera has taken can be retrieved from hidden service menus.
The procedure to obtain the number of actuations differs between Olympus cameras produced before and after June 2009. For the most recent models, that is most Micro-FourThirds cameras (PEN E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-P5, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-PM1, OM-D E-M1, E-M5, and E-M10), but also the E-5 and the XZ, the steps are outlined below. The procedure to follow for the earlier FourThirds cameras is described separately on the Olympus FT shutter count page. No problems have been reported to date from accessing the hidden menus, but care should be taken in following the individual steps in proper order. Also, kindly note that you will perform the procedures outlined below at your own risk.
Finding the shutter actuation count on recent Olympus cameras
Getting the number of shutter actuations on Olympus cameras is a multi-step procedure. With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following fifteen steps in sequence:
Page 2 menu (XZ-1) [Soon Ruey]
- Turn the camera ON while holding down the MENU button;
- Once the LCD screen lights up, release the MENU button and then press it again briefly;
- Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the SPANNER item in the menu and press RIGHT;
- Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the third (BRIGHTNESS) item in the menu and press RIGHT;
- Press INFO;
- Press OK, and a screen showing the camera designation will come up;
- Press arrow pad UP;
- Press arrow pad DOWN;
- Press arrow pad LEFT;
- Press arrow pad RIGHT;
- Press the SHUTTER RELEASE button;
- Press arrow pad UP (a PAGE 1 with some abbreviations and numbers appears);
- Press arrow pad RIGHT to move to PAGE 2;
- Write down the number to the right of "R" on PAGE 2. This is the number of shutter releases (the number to the right of "S" is the number of times the flash has fired);
- Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter count information!
At step 12/13, you can use the arrow pad buttons to move between several pages of hidden menus. The listed information is mainly intended for Olympus service personnel and helps them diagnose any problem that the camera might have experienced. In case you are interested, Olympus expert John Foster has deciphered many of the codes and reports them on his biofos.com site.